Peter L. Meehan, M.D.
Locations / Appointments
Peter L. Meehan, M.D.Book Online
Peter Meehan, M.D. is a board certified, Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon and provides care to patients in our Snellville location.
Dr. Meehan is a graduate of the University of Maryland School of Medicine. He was made a member of Alpha Omega Alpha, an academic honor society. After graduation he completed his internship at Emory University followed by his Orthopaedic Surgery residency at the Georgia Baptist Hospital. Upon completion of his Orthopaedic training Dr. Meehan served as a Lieutenant Commander in the U.S Navy assigned to the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda. Dr. Wood Lovell invited him to practice at Scottish Rite Hospital. In 1991 he became a member of The Emory Clinic and the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery of Emory University. The Emory University Orthopaedic Residents voted him “Faculty of the Year” in 1992 and 2004. In 1996 Drs. Eldridge, Meehan, and Schmitt founded Pediatric Orthopaedic Associates.
During his career, Dr. Meehan has been a leader in the field of Pediatric Orthopedics. He served as an Associate Editor of the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery for twelve years and continues as a reviewer. Additionally, he is a reviewer for the Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. He served as the Chairman of the Medical Advisory Board of Children’s Medical Services for the State of Georgia. For thirty years he traveled to Cordele Georgia monthly to hold a clinic for residents of the surrounding counties. Governor Perdue appointed him to the Georgia Physicians Partnership, one of ten doctors across the State to advise on various medical matters. In addition, he has been a member of committees for the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons including the Committee on Exams and Evaluations that writes exam questions for residents as well as doctors in practice; and the Board of Councilors serving as Chairman of the State Societies Committee.
He was elected the President of the Georgia Orthopaedic Society in 1999. He served as a member of the Board of Councilors of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons being one of two Orthopaedic Surgeons elected to represent Georgia to the national organization for six years. Dr. Meehan has published a number of articles and book chapters on a variety of topics including Legg-Perthes disease, idiopathic scoliosis, and congenital club foot. He has lectured both at the national and the international level.
Areas of Interest
- General Orthopedics
- Fracture Care
- Legg-Perthes Disease
- Idiopathic Scoliosis
- Congenital Foot Abnormalities
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Residency: Georgia Baptist Hospital, Atlanta, Georgia, 1975, Orthopaedic Surgery Residency
Internship: Emory University Hospital, Atlanta, Georgia, 1971, Surgery Internship
Medical Degree: University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, 1970, Doctor of Medicine
Undergraduate Degree: College of The Holy Cross, Worcester, Massachusetts, 1966, Bachelor of Arts, Biology
Memberships & Recognition
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America
- Scoliosis Research Society
- American Orthopaedic Association
- Georgia Orthopaedic Society
- Purvis JM, Dimon JH, Meehan PL, Lovell WW. Preliminary Experience with the Scottish Rite Hospital Abduction Orthosis for Legg-Perthes Disease. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 1980; 150:49-53
- Stanton RP, Meehan PL, and Lovell WW. Surgical Fusion in Childhood Spondylolisthesis. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics 1985; 5: 411-415
- Meehan PL, Lovell WW, and Ahn JI. Congenital Absence of the Lung. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics 1985; 5: 708-710
- Copeland RL, Meehan PL, Morrissy RT. Spontaneous Regression of Osteochondromas. Two Case Reports. J. Bone Joint Surg (Am) 1985; 67: 971-973
- Mehserle WL, Meehan PL. Treatment of the Displaced Supracondylar Fracture of the Humerus (Type III) with Closed Reduction and Percutaneous Cross-Pin Fixation. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics 1991; 11: 705-711
- Meehan PL, Angel D, and Nelson J. The Scottish Rite Abduction Orthosis for Legg-Perthes Disease. Journal of Bone and Joint Surqery (Am) 1992; 74: 2-12
- Meehan PL, Galina, M, Daftari T. Intraoperative Anaphylaxis Due to Latex Allergy. Journal of Bone and Joint Surqery (Am) 1992; 74: 1087-1089
- Meehan PL, Daftari T. Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis Presenting as a Popliteal Cyst in a Child. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Am)1994;76; 593-595
- Meehan PL, Viroslav S, Schmitt EW. Vertebral Collapse in Childhood Leukemia. J Pediatric Orthopaedics 1995;15: 592-595
- Nachemson AL, Peterson LE, and Members of the Brace Study Group of the Scoliosis Research Society. Effectiveness of Treatment with a Brace in Girls Who Have Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Am) 1995; 77: 815-822
- Eldridge, J, Dilley,A, Austin,H, EL-Jamil,M, Wolstein, L, Doris,J, Hooper,WC, Meehan, PL, Evatt, B The Role of Protein C, Protein S, and Resistance to Activated Protein C In Legg-Perthes Disease. J Pediatr 107: 1329-1334, 2001
- Harrell J and Meehan PL. School Screening for Spinal Deformity. Orthopaedic Nurses Association Journal 1979; VI: 203-208
- Report of Pediatric Orthopaedics, Meehan PL Atlanta Medicine 1984; 48: 35-36
- Meehan PL. Neurofibromatosis-Musculoskeletal Manifestations. Journal of the Medical Association of Georgia 1986; 75: 30-33
- Lovell, Wood W, Price, Charles T, and Meehan, Peter L. The Foot. In: Lovell, WW and Winter, RB eds. Pediatric Orthopaedics, First Ed, Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Company,1978: 911-997
- Meehan, Peter L. Anatomy and Non-Operative Management of the Congenital Clubfoot. In American Academy of Orthopaedic Surqeons Instructional Course Lectures 1982; XXXI: 252-256
- Meehan, Peter L. The Flexible Flatfoot. In American Academy of Orthopaedic Surqeons Instructional Course Lectures 1982; XXXI:261-262
- Meehan, Peter L. Adolescent Bunion. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Instructional Course Lectures 1982; XXXI:262-264
- Lovell, Wood W. and Meehan, Peter L. Orthopaedic Disorders of the Extremities. Pediatrics - Current Practice 1982 Volume 10, W.B. Saunders
- Orthopaedic Knowledge Update I: Home Study Syllabus. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery, Chapter 30, Pediatric Pelvis, Hip, Femur. Spring, 1984.
- Lovell, Wood W., Price, Charles T., and Meehan, Peter,L.The Foot In: Lovell, WW and Winter, RB eds. Pediatric Orthopaedics, 2nd Edition. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Company, 1986: 895-977
- Meehan, PL. The Cavus Foot. In: Morrisssy, |RT. ed. Pediatric Orthopaedics, 3 rd ed. Philadelphia: JB Lippincott, 1990: 971-981
- Meehan, PL. Adolescent Bunion. In: Morrisssy, |RT. ed. Pediatric Orthopaedics, 3 rd ed. Philadelphia: JB Lippincott, 1990: 983-990
- Meehan, PL. Other Conditions of the Foot. In: Morrisssy, RT. ed. Pediatric Orthopaedics, 3 rd ed. Philadelphia: JB Lippincott, 1990: 991-1021
- Meehan, PL. Toe Deformities. In: Staheli, LT. ed. Pediatric Orthopaedic Secrets Philedelphia: Hanley & Belfus, 1998: 219-225
- Meehan, PL. Nail Puncture. In: Staheli, LT. ed. Pediatric Orthopaedic Secrets, Philedelphia: Hanley & Belfus, 1998:226-227
- Thompson, GH, Price, CT, Roy, D, Meehan, PL, Richards, BS Legg-Calve-Perthes: Current Concepts. Instructional Course Lectures American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Ed. James H. Beaty 2002: 51: 367-384
Dr. Meehan and his wife, Barbara, were born in Maryland. They have lived in Atlanta since 1970 where they have raised their three daughters. As the oldest of nine siblings, Dr. Meehan has always had a love for children. He also has a deep interest in sports, having played both football on scholarship and baseball at Holy Cross College. His hobbies include gardening that he shares with his wife. He maintains his interest in golf and enjoys being the handy-man around the Meehan household.
Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egelston
Piedmont Eastside Hospital
Member of the Piedmont Clinic