Edmund H. Choi, M.D.Book Online
Orthopedics & Neurologic Spine Surgery Fellowship
Edmund H. Choi, M.D. is a fellowship trained, board certified orthopedic spine surgeon providing care to patients in our McDonough and Stockbridge locations. He is continually active in orthopedic and spinal research and has authored over 20 publications and abstract and lectured at regional and national meetings on the topics of comprehensive spinal care, osteoporosis, pediatric and adult spine reconstruction, bone and spinal tumors, and fractures. He is on the editorial board of Orthopedics Journal; his focus being spine research and orthopedic trauma research.
A graduate of the University of California at San Diego in La Jolla, California, he earned his medical degree at Tufts School of Medicine in Boston, Massachusetts. A native of San Marino, California, he was involved in MRI research and Cobalt drug and antiviral research at the Caltech Beckman Institute. Dr. Choi completed his surgical internship at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York, NY and a pediatric orthopedic rotation at The University of Washington in Seattle, Washington. He completed an additional fellowship in both orthopedic spine surgery and neurosurgical spine surgery at the San Diego Center for Spinal Disorders/Scripps Clinic in La Jolla, California. He is a member of the Scoliosis Research Society, and currently sits on the Safety and Value SRS Spine Committee.
With extensive training in the latest surgical and nonsurgical methods and techniques, Dr. Choi's goal is to assure that his patients get the most effective treatment for their spine ailment. He enjoys educating his patients and helping them to make informed decisions using evidence based treatment plans that are tailored to the patient's individual needs to help them get back to what they love to do.
Areas of Interest
- Robotic spine surgery
- Outpatient spine surgery
- Minimally invasive spine surgery
- Navigated spinal surgery
- Cervical disc replacement
- Minimally invasive TLIF/LLIF
- Scoliosis surgery
- Trauma spine surgery
- Tumor spine surgery
- Pediatric spine
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Fellowship: San Diego Center for Spinal Disorders/Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, CA, 2015, Orthopedic & Neurologic Spine Surgery Fellowship
Residency: Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center/New York Presbyterian Lower Manhattan, Brooklyn, NY, 2014, Orthopaedic Surgery Residency
Residency: The University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, 2013, Pediatric Orthopedic Rotation
Internship: Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY, 2005, Surgery Internship
Medical Degree: Tufts School of Medicine, Boston, MA, 2004, Doctor of Medicine
Undergraduate Degree: University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA, 1997, Bachelor of Science, Chemistry
Memberships & Recognition
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Orthopedic Journal-Editorial Board
- Scoliosis Research Society-Safety and Value Committee
- Choi E, Yazsay B, Mundis G, Hosseini P, Pawelek J, Alanay A, Berk H, Cheung K, Cheung K, Demirkian G, Ferguson J, Greggi T, Helenius I, La Rosa G, Senkoylu A, Akbarnia A. Implant complications after magnetically controlled growing rods for early onset scoliosis: a multi-center retrospective review. J Pediatr Orthop. 2016 Jun 18.
- Choi E, Wert M, Guerrieri C, Tucci J. A pathologic fracture of an intracortical chondroma masking as an osteoid osteoma. Orthopedics. 2010; 33(11): 845
- Choi E, Haung J, Bryk D, Bryk E. Giant medial parameniscal cyst in an osteoarthritic knee. Orthopedics. 2009; 32(10).
- De Ugarte DA, Choi E, Weitzbuch H, Wulur I, Caulkins C, Wu B, Fonkalsrud EW, Atkinson JB, Dunn JC. Mucosal regeneration of a duodenal defect using small intestine submucosa. Am. Surg 2004; 70(1); 49-51.
- De Ugarte DA, Choi E, Fonkalsrud EW. Repair of recurrent pectus deformities. Am Surg. 2002; 68(12); 1075-9.
- Fonkalsrud EW, De Ugarte D, Choi E. Repair of pectus exacavatum and carinatum deformities in 116 adults. Ann Surg. 2002; 236(3): 304-12.
In his spare time, he enjoys basketball, tennis, and volunteering in his community. He lives in the Metro Atlanta area with his wife and two children.
Piedmont Henry Hospital
Member of the Piedmont Clinic