Richard J. Bowles, M.D.
Sports Medicine Fellowship
Richard J. Bowles, MD, provides orthopedic care to patients in our McDonough and Stockbridge locations. His practice includes general orthopedics with a specialization in sports medicine. He has special interests in ACL reconstruction and complex knee surgery (including multiligamentous reconstruction and cartilage salvage/knee preservation) and advanced arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder, elbow, hip, and knee.
Dr. Bowles graduated with honors from the University of Louisville and continued his education at the University of Louisville School of Medicine in Louisville, Kentucky, after a career in engineering and business. After completing a general surgery internship at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (a Harvard Medical School teaching hospital) in Boston, Dr. Bowles completed his orthopedic surgery residency at the University of Colorado in Denver. He completed his sports medicine fellowship at the Cleveland Clinic. He is a team physician for the US Ski & Snowboard Team.
Areas of Interest
- Sports Medicine
- ACL Reconstruction
- Complex Knee Surgery
- Shoulder Arthroscopy
- Elbow Arthroscopy
- Hip Arthroscopy
- Knee Arthroscopy
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Fellowship: Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, 2018, Sports Medicine Fellowship
Residency: University of Colorado, Denver, Colorado, 2017, Orthopaedic Surgery Residency
Internship: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center/Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 2013, General Surgery Internship
Medical Degree: University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, Kentucky, 2012, Doctor of Medicine
Undergraduate Degree: University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky, 2001, Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
Memberships & Recognition
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association
- Cleveland Clinic Warthog Society
- Bowles RJ, Mauffrey C, Seligson D. Analysis of Performance Metrics Reporting in Papers Comparing Treatments or Materials/Devices in Four Important Orthopaedic Journals for the Year 2009. Injury 2011; 42(12):1480-1483
- Mauffrey C, Madsen M, Bowles RJ, Seligson D. Bone Graft Harvest Site Options in Orthopaedic Trauma, A Prospective in Vivo Quantification Study. Injury 2012; 43(3):323-326
- Bowles RJ, Chadayammuri V, Baldini T, Brecevich A, Mauffrey C. Split-Depressed Lateral Tibial Plateau Fractures: a Comparision of Augmented Percutaneous Screws Versus Augmented Plate and Screw Construct in a Cadaveric Model. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma 2018 Jul;32(7):e270-e275
- Sahoo S, Stojanovska M, Imrey PB, Jin Y, Bowles RJ, Ho JC, Iannotti JP, Ricchetti ET, Spindler KP, Derwin KA, Entezari V. Changes from Baseline in Patient Reported Outcomes at 1 Year versus 2 Years Following Rotator Cuff Repair: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. American Journal of Sports Medicine 2021 (in press).
- Mauffrey C, Madsen M, Bowles RJ, Seligson D. Using the Proximal Ulna as a Novel Site for Autogenous Bone Graft Harvesting: Surgical Technique. Current Orthopaedic Practice 2012; 23(4):386-389
- Mauffrey C, Bailey JR, Bowles RJ, Price C, Hasson D, Hak DJ, Stahel PF. Acute Management of Open Fractures: Proposal of a New Multidisciplinary Algorithm. Orthopedics 2012; 35(10):887-881
- Bowles RJ, Mitchell J, Price C, Ipaktchi K. Upper Extremity Mycosis in a Corn Auger Hand Injury: A Case Report. Patient Safety in Surgery 2015; 9(22)
- Nyland J, Krupp R, Greene J, Bowles RJ, Burden R, Caborn D. In Situ Comparison of Varying Composite Tibial Tunnel Interference Screws Used for ACL Soft Tissue Graft Fixation. The Knee 2015; 22(6):554-55
Dr. Bowles is a team physician for the Georgia Revolution soccer club. His interests include skiing, rock climbing/mountaineering, aviation, woodworking, and playing the guitar. He is a fan of the University of Louisville Cardinals, Boston Red Sox, and New England Patriots. He also enjoys spending time outdoors and traveling with his wife and children.
Piedmont Henry Hospital
Member of the Piedmont Clinic