David A. Stokes, M.D.
Sports Medicine Fellowship
David Stokes, M.D., is board certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. Fellowship trained in sports medicine and arthroscopy, Dr. Stokes practice includes sports medicine, elbow, knee and shoulder surgery.
Areas of Interest
- Sports Medicine
- Knee Arthroscopy
- Shoulder Arthroscopy
- Shoulder Instability
- Rotator Cuff Repair
- Shoulder Replacements
- Elbow Reconstruction
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Fellowship: Mississippi Sports Medicine & Orthopaedic Center, Jackson, Mississippi 2003,
Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy Fellowship
Residency: University of South Alabama College of Medicine, Mobile, Alabama 2002
Orthopaedic Surgery Residency
Medical Degree: East Carolina University School of Medicine, Greenville, North Carolina
1997, Doctor of Medicine
Undergraduate Degree: University of North Carolina, Greensboro, North Carolina 1993
Bachelor of Arts Biology
Memberships & Recognition
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Georgia Orthopaedic Society
- Medical Society of Georgia
- Szekely AA, Haden M, Stokes DA, Brown NE, Henrich VE. "Maternal and Early Embryonic Effects of a Nuclear Hormone Receptor on Drosophila Development." Triangle Conference on Reproductive Biology, 1994.
- Szekely AA, Haden M, Stokes DA, Brown NE, Henrich VE. "The Developmental Aspects of Ultraspherical (usp) Expression and Function." National Drosphila Research conference Abstracts, page 29, 1994.
- Lassiter TE, Stokes DA. "Patient Pain Assessment for Femoral Nerve Blocking after Anterior Cruciate Ligament Repair." Currently Ongoing Study, 1995 to present.
- Assisted Dr. Edwin Bartlett in the Development of Toggle Suture Anchor -a Biocompatible Allograft Suture anchor for Orthopaedic Surgery-Initial FDA Approval May, 1995.
- Applications include use in ACL and Shoulder Instability Repair. Wooten SL, Stokes DA, Boyette DM. "An Abnormal Presentation of Brodie's Abscess in a
22 Year-Old Diabetic, Anorexic Female." J. Ortho. Trauma, 1996.
- Bartlett EC, Stokes, DA. "A Quadriceps Mechanism Theory for Isolated Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tear." Initial Research Performed and Assisted with Grant Proposal, 1996.
- Stokes DA, Bartlett EC, Lassiter TE. "Propagation and Growth of Autologous Articular Chondrocytes in a Gel foam Absorbable Matrix." Abstract for Presentation at the North Carolina Orthopaedic Association Meeting, 1996.
- Pearsall AW, Russell GV, Hollis JM, Stokes DA. "A Biomechanical Analysis of Three Acromioclavicular Joint Reconstruction Techniques." Journal of the Southern Orthopaedic Association: vol 11,No. 1, Spring 2002, pp. 11-17.
- Pearsall AW, Russell GV, Hollis JM, Stokes DA. "Biomechanical Properties of Tibialis Posterior, Tibialis Anterior, and Peroneus Longus Allograft Tendons for Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction." Arthroscopy, 2001.
- Barrett G, Stokes DA. "Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction in Patients over 40 Years Old: Allograft versus Autograft Patellar Tendon." American Journal of Sports Medicine, 2003.
- Stokes DA, Savoie FH 3rd,Field LD, Ramsey JR. "Arthroscopic Repair of Anterior Glenohumeral Instability and Rotator Interval Lesions." The Orthopedic Clinics of North America, 2003.
- Pearsall AW4th, Stokes DA, Russell GV Jr. "Internal Jugular Deep Vein Thrombosis after Surgical Treatment of a Humeral Nonunion: a Case Report and Review of the Literature." Journal of Shoulder & Elbow Surgery, 2004.
- Stokes DA, Savoie FS, Field LD. "Arthroscopic Anterior Shoulder Stabilization and Capsular Plication." Clinical Orthopedics and Related Research, 2005.
Gwinnett Medical Center Duluth
Gwinnett Medical Center Lawrenceville
Piedmont Atlanta Hospital
Member of the Piedmont Clinic