Health Tip: Prevent Skin Problems at the Gym
(HealthDay News) -- Germs may thrive at the gym, creating a perfect breeding ground for skin infections.
Bacteria, viruses and fungi thrive in warm and moist places, such as the locker room or sweaty gym equipment, the American Academy of Dermatology says.
The academy mentions these preventive tips:
- Wear loose-fitting, moisture-wicking clothing.
- Always wear shoes around the locker room and pools. Keep flip flops in your gym bag to use in a public shower.
- Keep any cuts clean and covered.
- Disinfect equipment before and after using it.
- Wash hands just after working out.
- Shower soon after exercising, and dress in clean clothes.
The news stories provided in Health News and our Health-E News Newsletter are a service of the nationally syndicated HealthDay® news and information company. Stories refer to national trends and breaking health news, and are not necessarily indicative of or always supported by our facility and providers. This information is provided for informational and educational purposes only, and is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.