J. Ryan Mahoney, D.O.Book Online
Sports Medicine, Shoulder and Elbow Fellowship
J. Ryan Mahoney, D.O. is a board-eligible, fellowship-trained Orthopaedic surgeon specializing in shoulder and elbow surgery as well as sports medicine and general orthopaedics. Dr. Mahoney has special interests in shoulder replacement, instability and labral tears, rotator cuff pathology, tendon transfers, and advanced arthroscopic surgical techniques for sports related injuries.
Dr. Mahoney earned his bachelors degree at the University of Delaware, and his medical degree at the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine. He completed his residency in Columbus, Georgia at the Hughston Clinic and completed his fellowship at the Cincinnati Shoulder and Elbow Fellowship where he co-authored multiple textbook chapters on shoulder arthroplasty and has ongoing research.
Areas of Interest
- Tendon transfers
- General Hand conditions- trigger finger, radius fractures, carpal tunnel
- Fracture Care
- Sports Medicine
- American Osteopathic Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Fellowship: Cincinnati Shoulder and Elbow Fellowship, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2021, Fellowship
Residency: Jack Hughston Memorial Hospital/Hughston Clinic, Phenix City, Alabama, 2020, Orthopedic Surgery
Medical Degree: Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2015, Doctor of Osteopathy
Undergraduate Degree: University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware,2011, Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry
Memberships & Recognition
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics
- American Osteopathic Association
- American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
- Baker, C. L., & Mahoney, J. R. (2020). Ultrasound-Guided Percutaneous Tenotomy for Gluteal Tendinopathy. Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine.
- Mahoney JR, Barnes D, Pahl D. Perforated ileus after L5-S1 anterior lumbar interbody fusion: a case report presentation. AME Case Rep. 2019;3:21. Published 2019 Jul 16. Doi:10.21037/acr.2019.07.06
- Prater MC, Mahoney JR. Percutaneous Ultrasound Tenotomy: A New Technique to Treat Tendinopathy. Hughston Health Alert. Fall 2017;29(4):1-2. (Winner of Apex Award for Publication Excellence, 2018 competition.)
- Mahoney JR, Pendleton A. Tibial Tuberosity Fracture Combined with Entrapped Meniscus. -Accepted for publication, Orthopedic Blue Journal
- Mahoney JR, Hasan S. Surgical Treatment of Glenohumeral Osteoarthritis in Young Patients; Book Chapter – presubmission
- Mahoney JR, Hasan S. Treatment of Acute Periprosthetic Infection in Shoulder Arthroplasty; Book Chapter – submitted for publication
- Mahoney JR, Greiwe RM. Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty for Fracture in Patients with Axillary Nerve Neuropraxia - presubmission
- Mahoney JR, Baker III. CL, Radiographic Notch Predictive of Full Thickness Rotator Cuff Tear - presubmission.
- Research rotation under Michael Mont, Orthopaedic Adult Reconstruction Research on Press Ganey. Sinai Hospital. Baltimore, Maryland; May 2015
Dr. Mahoney enjoys traveling and playing golf in his free time. He lives in the Metro Atlanta area with his wife and daughter.
Piedmont Atlanta Hospital
Piedmont Eastside Hospital
Member of the Piedmont Clinic