Anuj Patel, M.D.Book Online
Anuj Patel, M.D., is a board certified orthopedic surgeon, fellowship trained spine surgery. Dr. Patel specializes in minimally invasive spine surgery (MIS) techniques that allow for less post-operative pain, decreased soft tissue injury, less blood loss, and faster recovery times. He treats all spinal conditions of the neck and back including degenerative, traumatic, oncologic, and deformity conditions. Dr. Patel performs all spinal surgeries including anterior and posterior cervical decompression and fusion, cervical disc replacement, cervical laminoplasty, lumbar microdiscectomy and laminectomy, and thoracic and lumbar anterior, lateral, and posterior fusion, all through minimally invasive approaches.
Areas of Interest
- Minimally-Invasive Spine Surgery (MIS)
- Adult Degenerative Spinal Surgery of the Cervical, Thoracic and Lumbar Spine
- Adult Spinal Deformity Surgery, including Scoliosis
- Traumatic Spinal Injuries
- Motion Preservation Technology / Total Disc Arthroplasty
- Spinal Tumors / Spinal Cord Tumors
- Pediatric Orthopedic Spine Surgery, including Scoliosis
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Fellowship: Harvard University Combined Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Boston, Massachusetts, 2019, Surgery of the Spine Fellowship
Sub-fellowship: Microendoscopic Spine Institute, Boston, Massachusetts, 2019, MIS Spine Sub-fellowship
Residency: Emory University Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Atlanta, Georgia, 2018, Orthopaedic Surgery Residency
Medical Degree: University of South Alabama College of Medicine, Mobile, Alabama, 2013, Doctor of Medicine
Undergraduate Degree: Georgetown University, Washington, D.C., 2009, Bachelor of Science, ACS Accreditation in Biology
Memberships & Recognition
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- North American Spine Society
- Atlanta Orthopedic Society
- Georgia Orthopedic Society
Dr. Patel has been published in multiple spinal journals including The Spine Journal, Clinical Spine, and Global Spine on the topic of minimally invasive spine surgery. He has presented at international spine meetings including NASS, CSRS, SRS, and the AAOS and won the best clinical presentation at CSRS in 2016.
- Patel A, Runner R, Bellamy JT, Rhee J. A reproducible and reliable localization technique for lumbar spine surgery that minimizes unintended-level exposure and wrong-level surgery. Spine J. 2018 Dec 7. S1529-9430(18)31281-6. PMID 30529787
- Rhee J, Shi J, Cyriac M, Kim J, Zhou F, Easley K, Patel A. The P-mJOA: A Patient-derived, Self-reported Outcome Instrument for Evaluating Cervical Myelopathy: Comparison with the mJOA. Clin Spine Surg. 2018; 31(2): E115-E120. PMID 29088009. Winner of Best Clinical Abstract, CSRS, 2016.
- Patel A, Simpson A, Cha T. Indirect Decompression of Stenosis. Manuscript accepted for publication. Seminars in Spine Surgery. Jan 2019.
- Patel A, Vu C, Shi J, Robertson D, Gottschalk M, Rhee J. Risk factors of Lumbar Spinal Epidural Lipomatosis. Manuscript submitted for publication Dec 2018.
- Bongers M, Ogink P, Chu K, Patel A, Rosenthal B, Shin J, Lee A, Hornicek F, Schwab J. The Use of Autologous Free Vascularized Fibula Grafts in Reconstruction of the Mobile Spine following Tumor Resection: Surgical Technique and Outcomes. Manuscript pending publication.
- Fletcher N, Patel A, Schwartz A, Orland K, Wilson J. Predicting Blood Loss in Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis Surgery. Manuscript pending publication.
- Presciutti S, Patel A, Boden S.. Spatial and Temporal Pattern of Expression and Protein Location of Sclerostin in Rabbit Fusion Models. Awarded AOSpine North America Grant – 2017. In process.
- Patel A, Roberson D, Walker M, Younan Y, Vu C, Gottschalk M, Rhee J. Lumbar Spinal Epidural Lipomatosis: MRI Quantification and association with Risk Factors. Manuscript submitted for publication Dec 2018
- Patel A, Thakur N, Heller J. C1-C2 arthrodesis: A Comparison of Cost and Radiographic Outcomes between the Magerl and Goel-Harms Techniques. Manuscript pending submission for publication.
In his spare time, Dr. Patel enjoys spending time outdoors with his wife, Ashley, and his dogs. He enjoys being on the lake and loves water skiing, wakeboarding, and fishing. He loves playing sports, especially soccer which he played in college at Georgetown. He loves to travel and has been involved in orthopedic service projects in the United States and internationally in Cape Town, South Africa.
Member of the Piedmont Clinic
Piedmont Orthopedics | OrthoAtlanta offers telehealth virtual visits for many types of post-op and follow up care for existing patients.
OrthoAtlanta Marietta provides expanded orthopedic and sports medicine care to residents in Marietta, Kennesaw, Canton, Holly Springs and Jasper.
Orthopedic spine surgeon, Anuj Patel, M.D., specializing in Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery (MIS) serves patients in Cobb, Paulding and Polk counties.