Health Tip: Treating a Dog Bite
(HealthDay News) -- Whether you are bitten by your dog or an unknown one, you must treat the wound without delay.
Immediate treatment reduces your risk of infection, says Cleveland Clinic.
To treat a dog bite, the clinic suggests:
- Press on the wound gently to flush out bacteria.
- Wash the wound with soap and water.
- Slow bleeding with a clean cloth.
- Apply an over-the-counter antibiotic cream.
- Wrap the wound in a sterile bandage, and change it at least daily.
- Watch for signs of infection.
- See a doctor.
The news stories provided in Health News and our Health-E News Newsletter are a service of the nationally syndicated HealthDay® news and information company. Stories refer to national trends and breaking health news, and are not necessarily indicative of or always supported by our facility and providers. This information is provided for informational and educational purposes only, and is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.