Health Tip: Ice Skate Safely
(HealthDay News) -- Ice skating is a fun winter activity, and it's also great exercise.
The National Safety Council suggests how you and your loved ones can skate safely:
- Wear skates that fit comfortably and provide enough ankle support.
- Sharpen your blades professionally each season.
- If outdoors, skate only on prepared areas where you are sure the ice is strong enough to support you.
- Always check for cracks, holes and obstacles on the ice that could make you fall.
- Wear warm clothing.
- Take a rest or consider stopping for the day if you are cold or tired.
- Never skate alone.
The news stories provided in Health News and our Health-E News Newsletter are a service of the nationally syndicated HealthDay® news and information company. Stories refer to national trends and breaking health news, and are not necessarily indicative of or always supported by our facility and providers. This information is provided for informational and educational purposes only, and is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.